Why no comp.sys.ibm.r6000?

Jon Alperin jona at iscp.Bellcore.COM
Sat Apr 20 03:29:08 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr17.035222.18286 at midway.uchicago.edu>, rtp1 at quads.uchicago.edu (raymond thomas pierrehumbert) writes:

|> I notice that this group (now that I've finally found it!) basically
|> serves the function of "comp.sys.r6000".

   No. Many of the questions deal with AIX (2.1, 3.1, and 370). Its just
that each AIX version has its own ideosyncrasies (SP?) specific to a
hardware platform.

|>  So why is it stuck under
|> unix?  We have comp.sys.hp, not comp.unix.HPUX, and comp.sys.apollo,
|> not comp.unix.DOMAIN.  What's the history here?

  Well,... I don't know about the history, but I don't think you can run
anything but AIX on an RS/6k....

|>     Is anybody interested in establishing comp.sys.ibm.r6000 and
|> moving there?

  Nah...its kinda nice to find everything in one place for a change.

--
Jon Alperin
Bell Communications Research

---> Internet: jona at iscp.bellcore.com
---> Voicenet: (908) 699-8674
---> UUNET: uunet!bcr!jona

* All opinions and stupid questions are my own *