loadave

William David Haas dav at eleazar.dartmouth.edu
Wed Apr 17 23:17:22 AEST 1991

I am trying to get lwho (version of rwho) running on the RS/6000s.  Lwho
has the same function as rwho but instead of broadcasting host information
it saves it in a file in a shared file system.  This code works on VAXen,
Sun 4s, and RTs.  The trouble I am having on the 6000 is getting the
load average of the machine.  The standard way of reading the kernal
does not work and niether do the RPC routines:

    rstat(Host, p_statp); /* high level rpc call */

This fails because the linker cannot find rstat but an nm on the library
(-lrpcsvc) says it is there.

    if (callrpc(Host, RSTATPROG, RSTATVERS_TIME, RSTATPROC_STATS, xdr_void, 0,
      xdr_statstime, &statp) != 0) {
	/* mid level rpc call *.
    }

This fails returning an error.  It works on a SPARC.

Does anyone out there know how to get the load average on a 6000?