Connecting NON IBM printers to RS/6000 to 520

John Lengeling john at bradley.bradley.edu
Wed Apr 24 07:22:06 AEST 1991

I am having problems connecting a Printronix P6X40 to an IBM RS/6000
520 via a serial cable to a 64 port RS-232 board.  The printer is
configured to do XON/XOFF flow control and smit has the port configured
for xon on and DTR off.  Using 3003 update.

The problem is that the printer just stops printing and rebooting the computer
or the printer has no affect.  You can print to the printer for several
days then it just stops any by dinking with a breakout box the
printer starts printing again.  The problem looks to be intermittant since
I have tried all sorts of combinations of bringing the printer off-line,
powering off the printer, and anything else which might hang it.

Is anyone else running into these problems?  What tips/tricks
can I use for setting up third party serial printers?

Thanks in Advance

John Lengeling

john at bradley.edu

--