But what about less INODES (Re: Need more inodes)

Geoff Coleman geoff at edm.uucp
Wed Apr 17 01:18:44 AEST 1991

In article <6597 at awdprime.UUCP> dcm at codesmith.austin.ibm.com (Craig Miller) writes:

>	Jerry, I think you're remembering "the good ole days".... :-)
>
>	The number of inodes is, I believe, always ~3% of the size of
>	the filesystem.  You can only get more inodes by extending.
>

>		Craig
>--
>Craig Miller			Internet:	dcm at aixwiz.austin.ibm.com
>IBM Austin			Vnet:		tkg007 at ausvmq
>AIXV3 Change Team (level3)	IBM internal:	dcm at littleguy.austin.ibm.com
>"I do not represent IBM or any other respectable company."

	But what we want is the good old days where we could say :
mkfs device blocks inodes

and get the number of inodes we want. We are running a disk with one database
file on it. Because it is a 288 Mbyte there were ~72,000 inodes created by
mkfs. We don't want this many inodes and we don't want to lose the space due
to this allocation of inodes. As well it would be really nice to have a 512
byte or 1k file system for database work.

Geoff Coleman
Unexsys Systems