Remote Printing

Vatsal Sonecha sonecha at cis.udel.edu
Sat Apr 27 07:03:18 AEST 1991

TITLE: 901231 SETTING UP REMOTE PRINT SERVER WITH TWO RISC
              SYSTEMS ON AN ETHERNET.

QUESTION:
After thrashing around for a couple of days trying different combin-
ations, I finally ran across the right method.  However, I can find
no clue in INFO or anywhere else for that matter that this is the
right way to do this.  Maybe it's suppose to be intuitively obvious
to the casual observer, but it wasn't to me. Anyway here's the solution:

  1.  Define the printer using SMIT but don't define the Virtual
      printer yet.

  2.  Go to Manage Remote Printer Subsystem on the Client Service
      and Remote Printer Queues.  Add a remote queue with the
      following definition:

      Name of queue                                         rp0
      Default queue                                         yes
      Queueing Discipline                        first come first serve
      Activate the queue                                    yes
      Accounting File pathname                              false
      Destination Host for remote jobs                      hostname
      Short Form Filter for queue                /usr/lpd/bsdshort
      Long Form Filter for queue                 /usr/lpd/bsdlong
      Name of device on local host                          drp0
      Name of queue on remote printer                       lp0

  3.  Now define the Virtual Printer using the following options:
      Queue device is lp0
      Header pages n
      Trailer Pages n
      Print queue name rp0
      Queue already exists do you want to add to it?  y

Now you need to start the lpd daemon on the Server and give access
to the server by using SMIT.  Do the following:

Anyway,
go into Manage Remote Printer Subsystem on the Server (SMIT), Server
Services, Host Access for Printing, and enter your remote host name.
Back out to Server Services, and choose lpd Remote printer Subsystem.
Start the subsystem now and at IPL time.  You should be ready to go.