Fixes for the C compiler?

Mark Coverdill mcover at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu
Mon Apr 22 12:11:20 AEST 1991

  We have some software that needs to share memory so that every
user doesn't grab a copy and eventually start thrashing the machine.
The company that supports this software has been unable to create
this shareable memory because they say IBM does not support certain
options within the C compiler.

  Not being an expert on AIX's C compiler I thought I would throw
these requests out on the net and see if there were any solutions.
Here are their requests:

1. Fully implement the "-bM:SRO" option (make shared library data
   read-only)

2. Make the C compiler move constant data (declared by the "const"
   keyword) to the shareable text segment.

3. Implement the "-S" option (generate assembly source) of the C
   compiler.

  The system is an RS 6000/320 with AIXv3.1 3002 (3003 has arrived
but has not been installed yet if the fixes are in there).  The
company has indicated that discussions with IBM have taken place
regarding these fixes but the fixes are of a relatively low priority
and they may not happen in the near future.

Any help in this matter would be appreciated.
--
Mark Coverdill                                  The Ohio State University
Internet: mcover at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu             Columbus, Ohio