C++ on RS/6000

Jon Alperin jona at iscp.Bellcore.COM
Mon Apr 1 23:44:11 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar31.062504.3750 at vax5.cit.cornell.edu>, umh at vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:
|> In article <1322 at qusuna.queensu.CA>,
|> lalonde at qucis.queensu.CA (Paul Lalonde) writes:
|> > Does anyone know of C++ compilers for the RS/6000?  Or a C++ to C converter?
|> > Or even a C++ to C converter that I could port...  g++ would be nice but
|> > I'm told gcc doesn't have a back end for the RS/6000.  Is this still true?
|> >
|> >              Thanks,
|> >
|> >                      Paul
|> >
|> >  Paul A. Lalonde             Internet: lalonde at qucis.queensu.ca
|> >  Home Phone: (613)546-4713   Work Phone: (613)545-7100
|> >
|> >      "The only true law is that which leads to freedom"
|> >                      - Richard Bach, _Jonathan Livingston Seagull_

I have been supporting a number of developers using Gloceknspiel C++ from
Oasys on the RS/6K. Since I cannot comment of the product itself, I would
warn anyone using it about 2 things:

1. Glok. uses .hxx as the extension to C++ header files, which does not
make for portable code.

2. AIX header files contain "new", "class", etc. and must be modified. This is
not something I feel real comfortable doing, since they are forgotten about
during upgrades and always cause problems immediately afterwards.

--
Jon Alperin
Bell Communications Research

---> Internet: jona at iscp.bellcore.com
---> Voicenet: (908) 699-8674
---> UUNET: uunet!bcr!jona

* All opinions and stupid questions are my own *