Name Resolution

David Fricker fsfrick at bones.lerc.nasa.gov
Thu Apr 25 02:51:31 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr23.185952.29156 at nrcnet0.nrc.ca> RRH at vm.nrc.ca writes:
>However  the ping vm fails and ping vm. or ping vm.nrc.ca   The
>/etc/resolv.conf has domain di.nrc.ca.  Is there any way to tell   the
>AIX machine  to behave like the others or are we stuck with it?
>Thanks in advance.     Ratilal Haria

We have a vm system here also, and I just tried 'ping vm'.
It works just fine.  I believe it has always worked for us.
For the record, I have an RS/6000 model 530 running AIXv3.1 (3003).
The system was installed in the standard way, i.e. no special configs.

My suggestions are to: try pinging the address (not the name), check
the name resolution on the Irises, and double check the name server's
host table.

Good luck.
David Fricker			|     phone: 216-433-5960
NASA Lewis Research Center     	|     M.S. 5-11
Cleveland, Ohio  44135         	|     email: fsfrick at bones.lerc.nasa.gov