Graphical visualisation package for RS6000

Dr. Robin Lake rbl at nitrex.UUCP
Sat Feb 16 23:55:17 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan30.152331.6853 at eik.ii.uib.no> robmack at ii.uib.no (Robert MacKinnon ) writes:
|>In article <9101300955.aa15043 at tgould.doc.ic.ac.uk> pj at doc.imperial.ac.uk (Paul Jarvis) writes:
|>>I apologise if this is the wrong group but I could think
|>>of none better. I am told that the `solution' to our
|>>problem would be a `graphical visualisation package'.
|>>Does such a thing exist for the RS6000 boxes, if so
|>>may I have some details. Sorry to be so vague on this
|>>one but we have been told what the solution is but
|>>managment have not yet told us what the problem is.
|>>
|>>Cheers
|>>       Paul
|>>     (pj at doc.ic.uk.ac)
|>
|>At the Bergen Scientific Centre, we have just got in a package by Wavefront
|>Technologies called "Advanced Data Visualizer".  We use it to visualize
|>NIC data on environmental computer simulations like ocean-ice interfaces.
|>
|>You can get more information about this product by contacting Wavefront
|>Technologies in Great Britian (ask for Chris Ford) tele.+44-494-441273.
|>or Hilde Diegenant tele. +32-1-25 45 55.  University cost should be in the
|>3000 to 4000 pound range.

1.  There is a comp.graphics.visualization newsgroup that discusses just
what you are looking for.

2.  apE is available for $75 from the Ohio Supercomputer Center, Ohio State
University, Columbus, Ohio.  They have an e-mail address which I don't have
at hand.  In my humble opinion, it may be better than the Wavefront package
in that you get source code, the package is easily extended, and (from the
looks of the video tape IBM lent me) apE has a better programming paradigm
in its "wrench" dataflow , icon-based editor.

3.  apE is in the same class as AVS, Stardent's visualization system.  There
have been rumors and speculation that AVS will soon be on the RS/6000, but
no hard facts.

Rob Lake
BP Research
rbl at BP.COM