Modems

Dipto Chakravarty dipto at umbc4.umbc.edu
Fri Feb 22 12:49:52 AEST 1991

In article <BFLS.91Feb12162049 at cain.anu.edu.au> bfls at cain.anu.edu.au (Barbara La Scala) writes:
>I have just been set a task which I thought would be quite simple.  I need to
>set up a dial-in modem on our brand new RS/6000 320.

>Argh!
>
>Barbara La Scala                   Internet: bfls at cain.anu.edu.au

I recommend that you use SMIT to configure even the simplest stuff on
the system. On the RS/6000 all the critical data are stored in a
special database format (ref. ODM - Object Data Manager). Unless and
until you use SMIT to change/update/configure system definitions,
proper updates won't occur.

Using the TAB key you may specify the option(s) that you want to use
in sub-menu. Setting up single directional modem lines should not be a
problem.  It is the 'uugetty' stuff with the bidirectional lines that
becomes a little nasty.  Feel free to send mail to dipto at ats.com or
call 800-933-1425 if you require support with RS/6000 hardware
configuration.

-Dipto Chakravarty
 dipto at ats.com

    dipto at umbc.bitnet -----\                     /----- uunet!ats!dipto