biff (mail notification under AIX3.1.3002)

Tim Fredrick fredrick at acd.ucar.edu
Tue Feb 12 03:08:49 AEST 1991

On our other UNIX machines, when new mail is received, the user's terminal
beeps and the first couple of lines of the message is displayed.

I can't seem to achieve this effect on the Risc-System 6000 (AIX3.1.3002).
Setting the mail environment variable to something like
"(30 /usr/spool/mail/fredrick)" causes "you have new mail" to display the
first time after 30 seconds you enter a new command.  But no bell, and no
subject line.

Any suggestions or is this simply not a part of AIX3.1?  Thanks in advance.

--Tim

Tim Fredrick             National Center for Atmospheric Research
                         Atmospheric Chemistry Division
fredrick at ncar.ucar.edu   PO Box 3000
fredrick at ncar.CSNET      Boulder, CO 80307