IBM4019 printer

Murat Berk berk at surf.rice.edu
Thu Feb 28 10:20:43 AEST 1991

We have an IBM RS6000 320 and IBM 4019 printer. We installed the
postscript option to the printer. If we send postscript files
to the printer everything is OK but if we send normal text files
it just do nothing. I coudn't file an option to check the files
and pass them through a postscript filter. So simply I defined
an alias as alias lpr enscript and I can print anything I want
But if I want to print something from info, it just sends as
a text file and it can not be printed. Anyway this is very unconvinient.
I have programs which works as PS filter , so I can pipe the
files and get PS output. But I cannot succesfully modify the
qconfig file. Anytime I try to add a filter to the backend program
it reports invalid filter option. It accept only -p filter for some
reason.But cat <file> | filter | lpr works okey.
If there is a simple solution to this problem please e-mail me.
IBM people don't know how to do this.

Murat Berk
Physics Dept
Rice University