AIX 3.1 Kernel Size

John F Haugh II jfh at rpp386.cactus.org
Sat Feb 9 00:14:31 AEST 1991

In article <147 at edi386.UUCP> eddjp at edi386.UUCP ( Dewey Paciaffi ) writes:
>I've run the 'size' command on /unix, and it responds that my kernel
>is 20.5 MB in size. I understand that the kernel pages, but was just curious
>to know if this number is actually correct?

Yes, it is "correct", however, it is a paging kernel and much of that
space is large tables that are unused until you need them.  It doesn't
mean the same thing it does with any other UNIX-derivative.
Ma Bell: (512) 832-8832                           Domain: jfh at rpp386.cactus.org
"I've never written a device driver, but I have written a device driver manual"
                -- Robert Hartman, IDE Corp.