Booting X stations

Peter Knight prk at planet.bt.co.uk
Tue Feb 26 21:55:40 AEST 1991

ng at cfd.di.nrc.ca (Kai Ng) writes:

>Probably this question has come up before, but I need an answer.
>Is it true that an X station cannot boot across the network when
>there is a bridge in between? Is there a work around?

Well, some wild guessing here:-
As you need to tell the boot-server the E-net address of the X-station
it may be that your bridge is unable to fake the X-station (because the
bridge may not know about the X-station if it is quiet, but that seems
unlikely..).

If this is the case, then the work around is simple, and
that is to provide the bridge with a filter table entry for the X-station,
so that it doesn't need to learn where the X-station is.

Alternatively, the TFTP may be unable to work at the speed and/or
time delays between different halves of your bridge.  This is unlikely
if you are using a local bridge.  The work arounds here include:

	Giving higher priority to the server packets;

	Getting a higher bandwidth pipe between the halves of
	the bridge.

>We have some X stations coming. It is a kind of useless if they must
>be confined to the same loop (building) of the host.

NO!  But you may need to provide a local boot server.

Peter Knight

#include <std.disclaimer>