'audit' on the rs/6000

Corey Wirun root at scona
Sat Feb 16 02:01:07 AEST 1991

        There seems to be a problem getting proper auditting
on the RS. I took the default /etc/security/audit/config file
and took out all the classes that were defined (e.g. general, etc)
and added one of my own:

        INOUT = USER_Login, USER_Logout

As well, I added to the 'users' stanza my login name:

        corey = INOUT

Well, did you think this would work? Nooooo. When auditting is enabled
(i.e. audit start) I get several K of audit within the first few
seconds....and 'corey' is not even logged on yet. The audit stuff that
is recorded is all for 'root'.

By doing a 'audit query' I was able to determine just what has been
auditted. My INOUT class was there, and a 'ALL' class was there with
all the audit events in it! (reason why I'm getting auditting on ALL
events!!! I did not define 'ALL' anywhere.)

IBM was somewhat useful. The reason that my INOUT class didn't pick
up anything was because I was using TELNET to log in. It seems that
you need to audit 'telnetd' or 'rlogind' (if using rlogin) to pick
up user login events.

They were at a loss to figure out what that 'ALL' class was though.....

"This, of course, is impossible..."  - Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
        Corey Wirun, BSc - Systems Analyst,  Esso Petroleum Canada,
               Strathcona Refinery.  Edmonton, Alberta
   root at scona.UUCP || cwirun at uncanet.BITNET || cwirun at ucnet.ucalgary.ca