use of class "-C" argument with lpr on RS/6000

John DeDourek dedourek at jupiter.sun.csd.unb.ca
Sat Feb 23 02:31:43 AEST 1991

We have a machine (non-aix) machine on campus which serves as a print
server for the unix machines.  This machine requires certain information
in the lpr/lpd protocol control file class argument to specify other
than default fonts, etc.  On most unix machines, this is done
by specifying the "-C" option to lpr.  I have tried this with
aix, but the class argument does not appear to have been transmitted
to the printer server.

At this point, I am not sure whether
-- this is an unsupported feature of aix 3
-- this is a bug in aix 3
-- I have not set up the print queue correctly
-- there is an interoperability problem between AIX and the print server

I would appreciate
-- information on this problem
-- suggestions for isolating the problem

I received one suggestion from a "unix" expert that I "hold the remote
queue" so that I can look at the queued control files.  Unfortunately,
I cannot figure out how to do this on the aix machine.

dedourek at unb.ca

N.B. were are running aix 3.1 at patchlevel 3001