Doing multiple backups on the 6000 8mm tape

Moffat gmoff at ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz
Wed Feb 20 21:59:14 AEST 1991

torre at msa3b.UUCP (Patrick Torre) writes:

>I leave the tape in the machine all week and add 3 backup files
>to the tape each night ( /u / and /usr ).
>what is a good way to backspace to the beginning of this group
>of files, verify that the backups are good, and leave the tape
>positioned for the next nights backups??
>tctl bsf 3 , seems to leave the tape in a bad spot (right before
>the eof mark "before" the first or second backup.

I don't know about this infernal 8mm drive (I might post my problems after
I've calmed down and stopped cursing *B^) but with traditional tape drives,
where you write the tape marks (eof) yourself, to back up n tape files you
do a 'bsf n+1; fsf'. (assuming there is a tape mark after the last file)
This is because fsf/bsf effectively count the marks they 'pass' and stop
immediately beyond them (is that clear? it is to *me*)

>                                                  and if this is the
>first 3 files on the tape it I cant use tctl 4.

Write a small 'identification' file on the tape first

--
    Graeme Moffat,                        Phone : +64 9 737 999  x8384
    Computer Aided Design Centre,         Fax   : +64 9 366 0702
    University of Auckland		  Email : g.moffat at aukuni.ac.nz