file fragmentation

neal at mnopltd.UUCP neal at mnopltd.UUCP
Thu Feb 28 13:33:09 AEST 1991

->In article <476 at bally.Bally.COM> siva at bally.Bally.COM (Siva Chelliah/50000) writes:
->>I have few questions :
->>   1 ) Is there a way to find out the  fragmentation of a file system
->>       (like the Norton utility for DOS)?
->
->I don't think so... Outside of some old UNIX/386 implementations, I
->don't really remember being able to do this with any UNIX file system
->(UFS perhaps? Certainly not BSD).

Look for a program called fsanalyze.  It does a brute force traversal of your
file system and reports on total fragmentation and worst files.   You may
have to wrestle it some to compile on aix, but otherwise the concept is sound.

->
->>   3) How to re-organize the file system ?
->
->What exactly do you mean by reorganize?
->

There is no free lunch.   Simplest approach:
	- back up the junk which you added and is worst fragmented to tape;
	- delete the above;
	- do an fsck with whatever option rebuilds the free list;
	- restore backup.

Neal Rhodes                       MNOP Ltd                     (404)- 972-5430
President                Lilburn (atlanta) GA 30247             Fax:  978-4741
                             emory!mnopltd!neal
                         gatech!emory!mnopltd!neal