bsh -o from the cron, but from where?

Robin D. Wilson robin at batcomp.austin.ibm.com
Thu Feb 7 02:13:17 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb3.155320.14616 at odi.com> benson at odi.com (Benson I. Margulies) writes:
>The root on my 3002 system gets periodic mail from cron
>saying that some job got an error by invoking bsh with the
>-o argument. But no crontabs contain the string "bsh -o",
>and I can't find anything else  that does, either.
>
>Has anyone else sorted this out?

Does your "/.profile" have "set -o vi" in it?  If it does, this should be
removed to a /.kshrc (or some other file), and your .profile should be set
up with the following entries:

ENV=/.kshrc  # Or whatever filename you decided on
export ENV

This entry will do nothing (nothing useful that is) when bourne shell is
started by cron (/bin/bsh), but when you start a ksh process it will know to
use the "ENV" variable to find the korn shell startup file (/.kshrc).  Since
bourne shell doesn't use "set -o vi" (or and of the "set -o" stuff used by
ksh) it will always return an error when running a profile that has this in
it.  You should note, that /bin/bsh is the shell of choice for cron, and it
will use the bourne shell, so if your environment files contain things that
bourne shell doesn't do, they will fail.

|The views expressed herein, are the sole responsibility of the typist at hand|
|UUCP:     robin%aixserv at uunet.uu.net                                         |
|USNail:   701 Canyon Bend Dr.                                                |
|          Pflugerville, TX  78660                                            |
|          Home: (512)251-6889      Work: (512)823-3015                       |