Aligned access to c structures (how to avoid)

Bjorn Engsig bengsig at dk.oracle.com
Mon Feb 18 19:19:00 AEST 1991

Article <1991Feb15.220246.35565 at shared.uucp> by johnp at shared.uucp (John Plattner) says:
|If you REALLY want to bash IBM a little bit, get their COBOL (shudder shudder)
| [ example ]
|and try to share it with the equivalent C global structure. You will find that
|the COBOL compiler does NOT boundary align, and you get nice weird results.
This behaviour is not specific to IBM but to Micro Focus cobol, which
is what is behind the IBM VS Cobol.  I'm on thin ice here, but I actually think
cobol is required to behave like that (because of data file portability); please
correct me if I'm wrong.
--
Bjorn Engsig, ORACLE Corporation, E-mail: bengsig at oracle.com, bengsig at oracle.nl

            "Stepping in others footsteps, doesn't bring you ahead"