no configuration changes made by newkernel !?!?

Herman Moons herman at pollux.cs.kuleuven.ac.be
Sat Feb 9 22:55:44 AEST 1991

We've got a PS/2 with AIX 1.2, and want to add a 3-com ethernet driver.
Thanks to the people on the net I found out that the 3-com drivers can be
found in the /usr/nifl/3com directory.

BUT: when I build a new kernel (with newkernel command) that includes the
driver code, the adapter is not added to the device switch table. After
some checks (with crash command) I found out that NEWKERNEL REFUSES TO MAKE
MOST CONFIGURATION CHANGES.
E.g. increase max number of processes per user, rebuild kernel
     Result: nothing changed
E.g. install 3-com device driver, rebuild kernel
     Result: driver not added to device switch table

Apparently the newkernel command doesn't do what it's supposed to do, i.e.
build a new kernel with the configuration changes that I've specified in
the /etc/system and /etc/master files.
I know that some of you out there got the 3-com adapter talking. How did you
manage to do this ???

herman

Herman Moons                                   Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
                                               Dept. of Computer Science
Tf : +32 (16) 20.10.15 ext 3642                Celestijnenlaan 200A
Fax: +32 (16) 20.53.08                         B-3001 Heverlee-Leuven
                                               Belgium
e-mail: herman at cs.kuleuven.ac.be