Dvorak keyboard on Xstation or PS2?

Christopher T. Jewell chrisj at netcom.COM
Mon Feb 11 17:41:31 AEST 1991

In a former life I used a Sun workstation.  When I started working
for that employer, I typed `man kb', perused the output for a while,
and then hacked on an existing C program until it issued enough
ioctl() calls to:

1.  remap the keyboard to my notion of a Dvorak layout;

2.  turn the linefeed key into an additional control key (emacs is
much more pleasant with control keys, as well as meta keys, on both
sides);

3.  Turn one of the left-side function keys into a caps lock.

Now I find myself using an IBM Xstation 120 attached to an RS-6000,
and I want to do at least the first part of the same trick, and
preferably also get the Ctl/Act key on the right hand side of the
keyboard to be just a control key, at least in emacs.  Unfortunately,
there seems to be no such man page as ``kb''.  Hence the following
questions:

1.  Is the information analogous to Sun's "man kb" available in AIX,
but someplace that I haven't thought to look yet, or doesn't the
information exist at all?  (If the information is available, but
only for the console keyboard, I might be able to arrange a swap
with the coworker who is now using the machine's console.)

2.  Can someone confirm (or deny) my suspicion that the Xstation
keyboard is compatible with the PS/2 keyboard, and someone (else?)
point me to a vendor of Dvorak keyboards for the PS/2 (or better
still, Dvorak keyboards explicitly sold for use on the Xstation)?

Please email responses and I'll summarize.

adTHANKSvance.
--
Chris   (Christopher T. Jewell)   chrisj at netcom.com    apple!netcom!chrisj