AIX 3.1 Kernel Size

Rick Poleshuck rick at ulticorp.UUCP
Sun Feb 10 01:50:49 AEST 1991

In article <19039 at rpp386.cactus.org> jfh at rpp386.cactus.org (John F Haugh II) writes:
>In article <147 at edi386.UUCP> eddjp at edi386.UUCP ( Dewey Paciaffi ) writes:
>>I've run the 'size' command on /unix, and it responds that my kernel
>>is 20.5 MB in size. I understand that the kernel pages, but was just curious
>>to know if this number is actually correct?
>
>Yes, it is "correct", however, it is a paging kernel and much of that
>space is large tables that are unused until you need them.  It doesn't
>mean the same thing it does with any other UNIX-derivative.

I am confused. We have a Model 520 with 16Meg of ram. Our size size
command also shows 20.5 Mb of .BSS ( uninitialized data space ). Even
the Unix kernel can't be using 20 megabytes of tables. I assume that
this memory MUST be used for disk cache buffers. Since real memory is
less than the buffer size AIX is paging cache buffers to disk???????
?????????
--
		| Email - !uunet!ulticorp!ultixrs!rick
Rick Poleshuck 	| Voice - (201) 887-9222 Ext. 755