Invalid pointer traps (S/6000)

John F Haugh II jfh at greenber.austin.ibm.com
Fri Feb 15 04:30:22 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb13.223557.3901 at odin.corp.sgi.com> jeffs at sgi.com writes:
>And no, the AIX 1 developers (PS/2) and the AIX 3 (RS/6000) developers
>don't talk much.

This is a completely untrue statement.  The department which I work
in is comprised of a considerable number of version 3 developers.
Not only myself, but three others from the same v3 area, plus several
others from different v3 groups.

There is a significant amount of communication from my area (PS/2,
S/370) to the S/6000 area.  Many of the programmers who worked on
the most recent round of PS/2 development here in Austin were
contractors whose stint with IBM ran out as development on AIX v3
wound down.  The same is true from the PS/2 side - as development
on the latest PS/2 update/etc expired, a good number of contractors
have gone back to AIX v3 as contractors.

So, not only is there direct communication, there is also a good deal
of cross-pollination.  What you must remember is that AIX v1 and
AIX v3 are two different products running on two very different
hardware platforms.  There are restrictions on the PS/2 side that
just don't exist on the S/6000, and vice versa.  For example, v3
just won't fit on a 9370 or PS/2.
--
John F. Haugh II      |      I've Been Moved     |    MaBellNet: (512) 838-4340
SneakerNet: 809/1D064 |          AGAIN !         |      VNET: LCCB386 at AUSVMQ