Doing multiple backups on the 6000 8mm tape

Bill Moran wlm at entwash.watson.ibm.com
Fri Feb 22 03:09:05 AEST 1991

I think that the positioning using tctl and
Backup works correctly. restore is where problems arise.
However, if you tctl to the position where you think stuff
should be written, and you then use something like:
dd if=/dev/rmt0 bs=5000k | restore if - or somesuch, this
should work. I do multiple backups on one tape, and I've
been able to restore them this way. I've never
had any luck using restore alone on an RS6000.

Bill Moran