Doing multiple backups on the 6000 8mm tape

Kai Ng ng at cfd.di.nrc.ca
Sat Feb 23 00:06:41 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb21.160905.3760 at arnor.uucp>, wlm at entwash.watson.ibm.com (Bill Moran) writes:

|> I think that the positioning using tctl and
|> Backup works correctly. restore is where problems arise.
|> However, if you tctl to the position where you think stuff
|> should be written, and you then use something like:
|> dd if=/dev/rmt0 bs=5000k | restore if - or somesuch, this
|> should work. I do multiple backups on one tape, and I've
|> been able to restore them this way. I've never
|> had any luck using restore alone on an RS6000.
|>

|> Bill Moran

After spending days in trying all those commands: tctl, backup, restore, etc.,
finally I got it work. To restore from tape with multiple backups
by i-node number, just do

   restore -i -s3 -q -f/dev/rmt0.1

Here the -s3 is an example if you want the third tape file to be restored.
However, if you want the next tape file, after you have done with the above
example, -s1 should be used then. It is described on the corresponding man page.

Unfortunately, you cannot do incremental backup or the -s flag with files
backup by name.