hanging telnets and ftps

CCVJ at lure.latrobe.edu.au CCVJ at lure.latrobe.edu.au
Tue Feb 26 21:40:54 AEST 1991

We have three RS6000s, two model 540s and one model 530, all running
at the same level (03.01.0001.0003).  All three are on the same
sub-network, have identically configured tcpip for nameserver,
netmasks, broadcast...etc, but one of the 540s periodically loses its
ability to translate names to addresses for ftp and telnet. (ping it
can do and "host node" returns numbers which have had to be gotten from
the nameserver!).

I can fix this by flushing the routing table and restarting
routed.

I have run telnet with netdata toggled, and get no output (by name -
it works by number). I have put the names and addresses of our most
frequently accessed machines in /etc/hosts and the behaviour is strange.
With a name in /etc/hosts, ftp or telnet will work - but with a terribly
long delay, long enough to make most users ^C out of it.  However, using
the address, the response is virtually immediate.  (Is this because it
tries to resolve the name first?)

Has anyone seen this sort of behaviour before, or can any network
gurus point me in any directions?

Thanks,

Vicki Jordan
Computing Services