NCD & InfoExplorer at 3003

david at panews david at panews
Sat Feb 16 10:55:54 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb10.180521.22554 at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> ejk at ux2.cso.uiuc.edu (Ed Kubaitis) writes:
>On another front, there seems to be a serious question as to whether it
>is proper for any X client (other than a display manager) to be altering
>server font paths or resource database items as InfoExplorer does. The
>replies I received to a comp.windows.x query regarding this practice
>(including one from a MIT X Consortium staff member) indicate that it
>is definitely *not* proper client behavior.

The addition of the info fonts to the font path is DIRECTLY based on
the fact that we use the Andrew Toolkit. ATK has always added its own
font directory (/usr/andrew/X11fonts) with little controversy or frowning.

One possibility would be for IBM to simply make these fonts "standard" on
our box, have them be in the default font path, and therefor not have to
add them. I'll have to look into that.

As to the resource database fiasco, I still don't know why this line was
added to the /usr/bin/info shell script. I am perfectly willing to believe
that this should not be there.

David Berkowitz  uunet!ibmsupt!david  (415) 855-4485 |
                                                     | Take off your shoes.
IBM Personal Systems Programming, Palo Alto          | for industry!
This does not represent an official IBM position.    |