<None>

Kai Ng ng at cfd.di.nrc.ca
Fri Feb 15 03:20:43 AEST 1991

In article <5321 at awdprime.UUCP>, jfh at greenber.austin.ibm.com (John F Haugh II) writes:

|> 	"If the process has appropriate privileges, the setgid()
|> 	 functions sets the real group ID, effective group ID, and
|> 	 saved set-group-ID to gid."

|> If you execute the setgid() function when the effective GID is not
|> 0, you should see the behavior that you expect.
|> --
|> John F. Haugh II      |      I've Been Moved     |    MaBellNet: (512) 838-4340
|> SneakerNet: 809/1D064 |          AGAIN !         |      VNET: LCCB386 at AUSVMQ
|> BangNet: ..!cs.utexas.edu!ibmchs!auschs!snowball.austin.ibm.com!jfh (e-i-e-i-o)

John,

First of all, how can I reply to you by email. The usr at ...ibm.com addresses
never work.

You are right about the behavior of setgid() and setuid(). If I have mode
set to 6755 and call the setgid() before setuid(), I'll get the result
as I expected.

That means should never trust the manual (or man page). It has never
mentioned the setgid behavior could be under the mercy of setuid.

Thanks for your information.

...Kai