Memory boards and data space

frank at leopard.austin.ibm.com frank at leopard.austin.ibm.com
Thu Feb 7 02:02:12 AEST 1991

>        The program is abnormally terminated during the graph traversal
>        phase for lack of paging space. Increasing the paging space beyond
>        256 MB doesn't seem to help.

Are you sure that it is being terminated for 'paging space' and not because
you are out of heap?  I forget what the default heap is, but look into the
ulimit command (for ksh or sh).  To increase your limit, have the administrator
use smit to change your user options.

>        ---------
>        Is it possible possible for the above mentioned program to work
>        if I thrown in extra memory boards? Do extra memory boards
>        increase the data (heap+stack) space? Please shed some
>        light on this issue. Thanks for your time.

No, extra real memory does not effect your data, heap or stack space.  Also,
there is a hard limit of 256 MB per segment.  This means that unless you do
some programming tricks (which I don't know the specifics of) you are stuck
at this limit.

- Frank Feuerbacher

Disclaimer: I don't speak for my employer and they don't speak for me.