Strange Sendmail message returning from my rs/6000

Alex Gaeta alg at chaos.optics.rochester.edu
Sat Feb 23 02:31:16 AEST 1991

Hello,

	I had the same problem as you have in setting the Mail
facility on the RS/6000.  I suspect that the problem is that
somehow the sendmail program is not reading the the host name
from the /etc/hosts file (I never figured out why.)  However,
the problem can be remedied easily by using the D macro in the
sendmail.cf file to define your hostname, domain, etc.  For
example:

	DwYourHostName

Also, use the DD to define the domain name, and DE, DF, DG to
define the domain parts.  For example, if your address was
hstnm.abc.efg.edu then you should define the macros

	DDabc.efg.edu

	DEabc
	DFefg
	DGedu

I think that this is all explained in greater detail in the
sendmail.cf file, just ignore the part saying that if your
address is already defined in the /etc/hosts file you do not
need to use these D macros.
		Best of luck.
				Alex Gaeta

alg.chaos.optics.rochester.edu--