3002 X/Motif -- pitfalls anyone?

Tony Sanders sanders at peyote.cactus.org
Sun Feb 17 11:41:29 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb3.222311.4341 at odi.com> benson at odi.com (Benson I. Margulies) writes:
>libraries, including -lXmt. The Info Explorer doc is self-inconsistent
>about the correct order of listing the X11, Xm, and Xt libs. The text
>says one thing, and the example makefile says something different.
In general the order should be from highest level to lowest level:
    -lXm -lXt -lX11

This applies to all libraries that depend on other libraries.

>In any case, the result is an application that dies in a XtSetValues
>with X server protocol error, "not a valid window ID.". Not
>surprising, I think, given a ResourceID of 0 in the error message.
>
>Does this ring any bells out there? Should I give up on IBM's libXm
>and libXt and port our copy of Xm and Xtm with the latest bugfixes?
It sounds like a bug in the application that may not have shown up
on the sun.  I used to have an application that got a protocol
error and I was sure it was a bug in the server because my program
worked just fine on another system, but it ended up I was over
writting an array in another module and that was changing the
value of a GC.

-- sanders at peyote.cactus.org
First rule of software:  Throw the first one away.
and so on...