IBM's documentation policy?

Paul Fink pfink at watson.ibm.com
Mon Jul 1 12:40:50 AEST 1991

In article <8146 at spdcc.SPDCC.COM>, rbraun at spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) writes:
|> When I buy SCO Unix, DEC VMS, or any of a number of other vendors'
|> operating systems, included in the price of the software is a complete
|> set of documentation on both the system commands and the library calls
|> available to application developers.
|> IBM's AIX policy is to make a CD-ROM of all this doc available free of
|> charge, but I'm not aware of any way to get a copy of it on tape (without
|> an extra cost).  My pre-loaded Model 520 came with 'info' on shell
|> commands only, and no printed manuals whatsoever.
|> So my question is this:  can I indeed get hold of the library-calls
|> doc free of charge on tape or diskette?
|> -rich

I can't answer your question. I have no knowledge of IBM marketing.
But I am curious, is the problem that you don't have a CD-ROM?
If you do then dd works fine. If you have the disk space you can copy the
Info CD to disk. Its much faster and you can even NFS mount it.
You can even put it on diskettes, many, many, many diskettes.

*** NOTE: I have no knowledge if this violates licensing or not. ***