puzzling tcpip problem. ODM messed up?

Eliot Lim eliot at engr.washington.edu
Wed Jun 12 11:39:34 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun12.001444.11707 at rice.edu>, johnson at horta.rice.edu (Bruce Johnson) writes:

> >- nothing outside can come in.  only ping from outside gets a response.
>
> #You mentioned a problem telnetting in after the upgrade. Well, this morning
> #we observed the same thing. However, the cure is simple. Go into smit,
> #System Environments and Processes, and Change Number of licensed users
> #to more than 1-2 . We set ours to 2-32.
>
> It would be a cruel twist if a simple default flag like this was the
> culprit.  Let us know if it is or not.

Unfortunately this is not the problem.  If the licensed users bomb
hits, what you get is a "connection closed" message.  In my problem
there is no response.  The command hangs until it timeouts.  Commands
like finger should not be affected by # of licensed users but in
this case it is.  Also, this machine was upgraded from 3003, where the
1-2 licensed users bomb was planted.  That was fixed a long time ago.
Also, how would one explain that the machine cannot ping itself, while
machines on the net can ping it?

Anyway, thanks for responding, I will post if I ever find out what
the problem is.

Eliot