Where is alloca(3)?

Chin Fang fangchin at leland.Stanford.EDU
Mon Jun 17 14:44:33 AEST 1991

This afternoon I was trying to build xmail posted in comp.sources.x.  Everything
went on fine until linking time.  Make complained that .alloca was a unresolved
external reference and then quit.  Initially I thought it wasn't a big deal.
I used to program on SYSTEM V boxes and if this was the case, just add -lPW would
normally fix it.  NOT this time!

So, I man alloca first and a partial quote is given as follows:

--------------------------  BEGIN OF QUOTE --------------------------------
fang> man alloca
  malloc, free, realloc, calloc, mallopt, mallinfo, or alloca Subroutine

   Key Concepts

  Purpose

  Provides a memory allocator.

  Libraries

  Standard C Library (libc.a), Berkeley Compatibility Library
  (libbsd.a)

---------------------------  END OF QUOTE ----------------------------------

The trouble is that even I nm(1) these two, I still couldn't find .alloca.
Neither libPW.a has it.  Certainly putting anyone of them in Makefile wouldn't
do me any good :-(

Of course, I can steal the alloca.c from GNU emacs and then do some hacking, but
I am curious where is this alloca(3) in AIX?

Any hints would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance for any help.  Please email
your response(s).

Regards,

Chin Fang
Mechanical Engineering Department