ties and aix

forsyth at minster.york.ac.uk forsyth at minster.york.ac.uk
Thu Jun 13 00:33:38 AEST 1991

I must object to the association being proposed between `wearing a tie'
and `competence in technical matters'.  I am currently wearing a rather
nice tie from Liberty, and if you were therefore to assume that I was
not really up to kernel work, you might be making a big mistake!
Furthermore, `plimsolls, jeans, and T-shirt' seems just as much of a
conformist convention in some cults as `suit and tie'.
Some of the net articles are remarkably defensive in tone.
``No, honestly, we don't conform either: we all wear jeans & t-shirts just like you!''
Perhaps this nonsense bears little weight in any assessment of ability
and originality.
Let us return to technical issues and abandon sartorial sniping!