When will X11R4 come to the RS6000 (was: How to make win mgr appear)

Mike Berkley mberkley at active.uvic.ca
Wed Jun 5 02:52:32 AEST 1991

> On 3 Jun 91 21:40:44 GMT, geo at george.austin.ibm.com said:

geo> If you are running version 3005 or later of the operating system
geo> and have chosen to load X11-R4 on your Xstation (a good choice
geo> IMHO) ....

Before I received the memory upgrade for the Xstation 120, I was
convinced that the thing was a boat anchor.  Almost everything I ran
would crash the thing and even a few xterms stood a good chance of
locking the Xstation up.  Since the memory upgrade, I've been running
X11R4 and I agree that it's a great choice.  tvtwm runs correctly now,
oclock is the right shape, (almost :-) nothing crashes the terminal, etc.

Now I would be really ecstatic if we could get X11R4 on the main
display.  Does anyone at IBM know when this will happen?

According to a note over in comp.windows.x, MIT will be releasing R5
to consortium members in July.  It would be nice to at least have R4
before R5 arrives.

Mike Berkley
University of Victoria
mberkley at sirius.UVic.CA