xrn on RS/6000

Chin Fang fangchin at leland.Stanford.EDU
Tue Jun 4 03:11:42 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun3.095155.29388 at bernina.ethz.ch>, wuketich at bernina.ethz.ch (Johann Wuketich) writes:
|> Is there any distribution of "xrn" that will compile AND link on my RS/6000.
|> I got the lates Distribution from shambhala.berkeley.edu (xrn6-15.tar.Z)
|> but it seems that my libX, libXm, asf. miss some stuff.
|>
|> I compiled the Program with (X11) R3 defined/undefined MOTIF defined/undefined
|> but all ended with compile/link errors. The best result was defining R3 and
|> MOTIF, which gave the following result:
|>
|> 0706-317 ERROR: Unresolved or undefined symbols detected ...
|>
|> .XmListGetSelectedPos
|> .XmListReplaceItemsPos
|> .XmListAddItems
|> .XmListItemPos
|> .XawTextDisableRedisplay
|> .XawTextEnableRedisplay
|> .XtCallActionProc
|> .XmTextInsert
|> .XmTextSetCursorPosition
|>

|> So what version of xrn and AIX (libX, libXm,...) do I need to get it
|> working ?

FYI, I got the same version of xrn from the same place (Stanford and Berkeley
are just 40 Mins away :-) and compiled it using X11R4 libs/includes I built
for our machines.  No problems at all.  Of course, one has to edit out these
BSD type function declaration  like extern char *malloc() etc in src.  As
a Stanford guy, I am more than happy to eliminate such Berkeley stuff :-)

I have either built (ie, just xmkmf and then make) or ported (src hacking too)
most well known and some not so well known contributed clients using these R4
libs/includes without too much troubles.  Before IBM provides us a *real* R4
X, I guess this is the way to go for the near future.  Remember you get X11R4
standard clients, color database, and fonts at the same time too.  No server
however :-(

A few examples: kterm, xpostit, xrn, xnlock, xrlogin, xsh, xshowcmap, xtetris,
SeeTeX, xwebster, dclock, hexcalc, xcalendar, xinfo, xcolors, xdiary, xdir, xfig,
xless, tvtwm, acm 2.3 .. and more.  All built using R4 libs/includes. So RISC 6000
is not that bad.

Hope the info helps.

Regards,

Chin Fang
Mechanical Engineering Department
Stanford University
fangchin at leland.stanford.edu

PS.  One open question however is when IBM can provide RISC 6000 users X11R4?