Adding scsi devices

Mike Grenier mike at atc.SP.Unisys.COM
Sat Jun 15 04:54:35 AEST 1991

I have a few silly questions concering the IBM RS6000/320
that we have here. We do have a service contract.

First Question : Is there a place to call or otherwise contact to get
reasonable RS6000/AIX support? The technical support person we have is
great for obvious UNIX questions but is lacking on the following two.

Second Question : I'm adding an Exabyte 8200 to an RS6000/320 by doing
the following :

      mkdev -d -c tape -s scsi -p scsi0 -t 8mm -w 20

which defines the device on /dev/rmt2

When trying to make it availble by running :

      mkdev -l rmt2

it fails by saying :

    Method Error (/etc/methods/cfgsctape):
         0514-047 Cannot access a device

Yet it seems to be moving the tape around and such.
Diags has no trouble talking to that scsi target.
Any ideas?

-----

Question 3: On another front I was trying to add a Exabyte 8500 to the
system (The 8mm device says that it does not reconginize the 8500). I
started by adding the ODM entries in PdDv and PdAt as well as the
description into devices.cat for the 8500. Thus the following command
works to define the device instance.

    mkdev -d -c tape -s scsi -p scsi0 -t exa8500 -w 20

which devices the device on /dev/rmt1

When attempting to make it available via

    mkdev -l rmt1

it replies :

   0514-051 Device to be configured does not match the
    physical one at the specified connection.

When I created the ODM entries for the 8500, I basically copied the
8200 ones except for the name in the NLS catalog.

The RS6000 is going to the drive and requesting something (I'm
assuming the manufacture's ident string) and comparing it
to its database. How can I add/modify the entry in the database
that it is comparing to (wherever it is)? Is there a way to see
exactly what the drive is sending?

     -Mike Grenier
      mike at sp.unisys.com   Unisys Air Traffic Control
      612-456-7869