HP-720 vs IBM-320 vs Sparc2

System Admin Mike Peterson system at alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca
Mon Jun 10 00:50:14 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun8.170028.156828 at rrz.uni-koeln.de> se at IKP.Uni-Koeln.DE (Stefan Esser) writes:

>|> ourselves have had a lot of problems. The history of HP-UX is much longer,
>|> but it is SYS5-based as you pointed out, which is a BIG pain.
>
>Sad to say, at least the HP-PA version of HP-UX is derived from BSD!
>(Have a look at the system header files, you'll find lots of BSD 4.3
>'compatible' structures ...). HP sells it as Sys V.2 compatible, but they
>had to remove lots of BSD features to achieve this compatibility!

Are you sure it is BSD-derived? All the missing utilities that you cite
(and I found missing within about 5 minutes of using HP-UX) would point
to a SYS5 origin, with some BSD include files added. I can't believe
HP would deliberately remove things from a BSD port that did not impact
SYS5 compliance (like 'renice', 'msgs', 'talk', ...), or would they ???
"Official" comments, HP? If it is BSD-based, why not still provide the
BSD ps (and other) commands in another directory, which can be moved to
the head of the $path/$PATH for users who prefer BSD options?
--
Mike Peterson, System Administrator, U/Toronto Department of Chemistry
E-mail: system at alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca
Tel: (416) 978-7094                  Fax: (416) 978-8775