Invalidating Users (temporarily)

James Nau james at engrs.unl.edu
Tue Jun 25 13:10:42 AEST 1991

In article <19397 at rpp386.cactus.org> jfh at rpp386.cactus.org (John F Haugh II) writes:
>In article <1991Jun21.163259.6777 at unlinfo.unl.edu> james at engrss2.unl.edu (James Nau) writes:
>>Does anyone know of a way to invalidate a user so that a message is
>>displayed, and the user is logged off, and ftp access is disabled?
>
>There is a file, /etc/shells, which lists the shells which a user may
>have and be granted FTP access.  The /etc/shells file was replaced by
>the "shells" attribute in /etc/security/login.cfg and I suspect the
>people in TCP/IP didn't get the message.
>--
>John F. Haugh II  | Distribution to  | UUCP: ...!cs.utexas.edu!rpp386!jfh

This is just what I was looking for.  Thanks!  As it turns out, /etc/shells
is NOT needed.  It is indeed the shells attribute in /etc/security/login.cfg.
My problem was that I had the shell in there (mkuser requires it).  Then,
I'd try testing against the same machine...  But, removing my shell from
the shells= attribute, then ftp'ing, did indeed as I wanted.  ie, no ftp
access, a message printed out at login, and the user logged off.

James