root restrictions

David J. Kleikamp shaggy at kleikamp.austin.ibm.com
Thu Jun 13 23:04:55 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun12.180648.27815 at bnlux1.bnl.gov> como at max.bnl.gov (Andrew T. Como) writes:

>I need a mechanism to restrict root logins to the console.
>
>If I change the user characteristics "valid TTYs" to the console
>you can only "su" to "root" from the console. (this is not practical)
>
>		Andrew Como
Okay, I'll ask.

What good is it to restrict root logins to the console if you do allow other
users to su to root from other TTY's?

Anyway, one way of doing this would be to write your own authentication
method.  I've never done this myself, but you define the authentication
methods in the /etc/security/login.cfg file.
David J. "Shaggy" Kleikamp	dave at kleikamp.austin.ibm.com
The content of this posting is independent of official IBM position.
External: uunet!cs.utexas.edu!ibmaus!auschs!kleikamp.austin.ibm.com!dave