How to make window manager appears on Xstation

W. W. Looi looi at sutro.SFSU.EDU
Tue Jun 4 13:57:26 AEST 1991

In article <8149 at awdprime.UUCP> geo at george.austin.ibm.com () writes:

> [partial text deleted]

If you look at the login script in
	/usr/lpp/x_st_mgr/bin/login
the DISPLAY and XSTATION variables get exported in the
	/usr/lpp/x_st_mgr/bin/x_st_mgrd.cf
by the "boot" program.

And then, if you do a remote login at the Xstation login window, the login
script will do a
	su nobody ; -c "rlogin $host -l $logname"
the DISPLAY and XSTATION don't get passed down, thus make the window
manager appears on the remotehost instead of the Xstation.

>NOW.  To get all this to happen on the correct display (attached to your
>Xstation),
>put the following lines near the beginning of your .profile (name of
>Xstation is 'devlx'):

The solution you provided [by hardcoding the DISPLAY name in the
remotehost's .profile] only works for one Xstation. I had the chance to
muck around with the login script, and came out with a general solution.
That's I do a remote copy of the DISPLAY [hence XSTATION] value to the
remotehost's /tmp/DISPLAY, and then have my remotehost's .profile invoke
a little script to manipulate the correct DISPLAY and XSTATION values.
It's an interim hack, but it works for us. Pls email me if you're
interested in my script.