connecting a Laserwriter

Graeme Moffat graeme at ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz
Fri Jun 21 21:55:04 AEST 1991

aks at anywhere.ucsb.edu (Alan Stebbens) writes:

>Does anyone have some details on connecting an Apple Laserwriter to an
>IBM RS6000/320?  We've done this many times with Suns, and it is pretty

>We've done continuity checks and the cable is right; we're running a
>pretty standard RS232 cable, and we've even swapped TX/RX with each
>other and tried again.  We've had the device attribute "DTR=" set to
>both 'yes' and 'no' and it still doesn't work.

My experience, using only 3 wire cables (pins 2,3,7):
-Printers on the serial port require pins 4&5 (CTS & RTS) on the RS6000 end
  to be jumpered, even though Xon/Xoff is specified on, and DTR off.
-Terminals require pins 8&20 jumpered, using Xon/Xoff.

--
Graeme Moffat                g.moffat at aukuni.ac.nz \ Time wastes us all,
Computer Aided Design Centre,  Fax: +64-9-366-0702 /  our bodies & our wits