GNU C,G++ for RS/6000

Rich Braun rbraun at spdcc.COM
Fri Jun 7 03:49:47 AEST 1991

This is an FAQ, and alas the answer is No so far.  However, I've heard
that "certain university hackers have brought up gcc on the RS/6000" on
their own.  The Free Software Foundation has stated in no uncertain
terms that the RS/6000 won't be supported until gcc version 2.0 comes
out, which is obviously months or years in the future (this is due to a
spat between IBM and the FSF; IBM is worried about "contaminating" its
code with copylefted sources, so it refused to make some FSF software
available to its customers--that's how I remember the episode).

Will any of the aforementioned university hackers step forward and let
us know of the availability of any unsupported gcc derivatives for the
RS/6000?  There's a deep well of demand for it.

-rich