Where/what is ELM?

Chin Fang fangchin at leland.Stanford.EDU
Sat Jun 29 13:37:30 AEST 1991

In article <4026 at d75.UUCP>, woan at exeter.austin.ibm.com (Ronald S Woan) writes:
|> In article <91179.075157RBNTJC at ROHVM1.BITNET> RBNTJC at ROHVM1.BITNET (Thomas J Cozzolino) writes:
|> >I heard somewhere that ELM is a good X-based mail interface.  Is it a
|> >front end to mh?  How does it compare with Xmh or Zip?  Is ELM available at
|> >any FTP sites?  And, has anyone out there ported it to the RS/6000?
|>
|> You heard wrong. It is a curses based interface ala mush... It has
|> it's own newsgroup, comp.mail.elm, too. Anyway it is available all
|> over by ftp, uxc.cso.uiuc.edu comes to mind and compiles with bsdcc
|> without modification.

Agreed, if the right flags are used, at patch level 11, NOT EVEN ONE line
of src needs to be modified.  I learned this the hard way until I looked at
AIX's includes file carefully enough :-(

Flags necessary:

 -D_NO_PROTO -D_NONSTD_TYPES -U_ANSI_C_SOURCE -U__STR__

Please look into includes to see why they are necessary.

FYI, if you want a X-based mail interface, try the recently posted xmail, which
DOES fit your bill.  (see comp.sources.x)

Sincerely,

Chin Fang
Mechanical Engineering Department
Stanford University