ties and aix

Mark R. Ludwig mrl at uai.com
Thu Jun 27 08:10:30 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun20.140932.7398 at bellcore.bellcore.com>, Jon Alperin writes:
>I still believe that people that prefer to wear ties over more
>comfortable clothes are a bit strange (and I'm not sure I trust them)
>:-} OK?

You're allowed your opinion, but I'm reminded of a saying from one of
the fortune cookie programs:

	An idea is not responsible for the people who believe in it.

In other words, you may think Foo, who wears a tie, is strange.  It is
not the tie's fault that Foo is strange, and there is no logic in
claiming that anyone else who wears a tie is also strange!

Then there's the classic:

	Don't judge a book by its cover.

In fact I'm blowing smoke because the reason I wear a tie is that
people *do* judge others by their clothes.  It's wrong!  I know plenty
of people who wear a tie, but who didn't always, and as far as I can
tell it has little impact on their technical ability.  In some cases,
they seem to have improved, but perhaps that's because they're
learning as they age, and their clothing plays no part in the
change.$$
--
INET: mrl at uai.com       UUCP: uunet!uaisun4!mrl       PSTN: +1 213 822 4422
USPS: 7740 West Manchester Boulevard, Suite 208, Playa del Rey, CA  90293