IBM 6000 vs HP 9000 series 700

John D. McCalpin mccalpin at perelandra.cms.udel.edu
Fri Jun 28 07:43:21 AEST 1991

Chin> This leads me to... a 40Mhz i860 offers 80 MFLOPs.  Can IBM
Chin> Austin people design a addon board to utilize i860 for us?
Chin> After all, IBM owns part of Intel and if RISC 6000 lines are
Chin> designed for technical users, I would say the more MFLOPS the
Chin> bigger your market share will be :-) Now this is THE MOTIVATION
Chin> for IBM :-)

A 40 MHz RISC-System/6000 can also do 80 MFLOPS, and IBM seems to have
done a much better job at writing good compilers for their CPU than
Intel has.

I have important pieces of my fluid dynamics codes that run at over 25
MFLOPS on the Model 320 and over 60 MFLOPS on a Model 550.
Unfortunately not all of the code runs that fast yet --- there are
still memory bandwidth bottlenecks to deal with....

If someone wants to build a "Real (tm)" number-crunching machine, then
it is going to have to support 2 64-bit loads, 1 64-bit store, 1
64-bit FP add, 1 64-bit FP multiply, and 1 logical operation/branch
per cycle.  Right now if you want one of those, you will have to call
Cray Research....
John D. McCalpin			mccalpin at perelandra.cms.udel.edu
Assistant Professor			mccalpin at brahms.udel.edu
College of Marine Studies, U. Del.	J.MCCALPIN/OMNET