AIX vs standard unix

jim frost madd at world.std.com
Sat Jun 8 16:54:13 AEST 1991

gs26 at prism.gatech.EDU (Glenn R. Stone) writes:

>In <1991Jun4.163505.29244 at cs.utk.edu> de5 at ornl.gov (Dave Sill) writes:

>>In article <11640 at ncar.ucar.edu>, pack at acd.uucp (Daniel Packman) writes:
>>>I'd take the journaled file system over sys V or berekely any day.

>>How about the day one of your disks crashes?

>only once have I _ever_ heard a squeaky out of fsck....
>it just doesn't lose stuff.

JFS vs UFS: JFS wins hands down.
JFS vs FFS: JFS is more reliable, but FFS is faster.

The only problem I have with JFS is that it does not deal with
fragmentation at all.  Given the amount of research that went into
filesystems that avoid or eliminate fragmentation, such as FFS or SGI
Extents, I was shocked at this deficiency.  Rumor has it (rumor from
an IBM representative) that IBM is working on it, but it's a glaring
problem which IBM has no immediate answer to.

As for reliability, I've never lost anything on a JFS partition.  Not
even stuff that was active when the machine was down.  JFS partitions
are reliable, no question about it.  I'd love to see that kind of
reliability on other UNIX machines.

jim