Problems with console locking and mwm stopping

Dale Hubler hubler at galaxy.lerc.nasa.gov
Tue Jun 11 21:48:59 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun10.210318.18087 at bony1.bony.com> stevef at bony1.bony.com (Steve Faiwiszewski) writes:
>In article <1991Jun6.232937.2834 at casbah.acns.nwu.edu> guidry at casbah.acns.nwu.edu (David A Guidry) writes:
>>
>>1)  A user is plugging away happily at the console and the console locks
>>up.  No mouse movement, no response to the keyboard, NOTHING.  How can I
>>reset the terminal from a remote location without rebooting the offending
>>machine.  Killing off alll the user processes doesn't help at all.  If the
>>terminal cannot be reset without rebooting, is there a way to reboot
>>without having to insert the key to the machine (I'd like to be able to
>>handle these minor emergencies from home).
>
>>David A. Guidry       |    On a clear disk, you      |       empire
>
>Same happens on our Model 320 (with 24 Meg) running 3005.  Once in a
>while the X server running on the console seems to freeze (mouse dead
>too), and nothing short of a reboot seems to help.  Killing mwm does
>no good at all.  Anyone else see this?
>
>        - Steve -

We too have found that the XServer dies often enough, especially if the
user has a bitmap in their root window.  Try the following command to
clear the console, typically the user has no processes going;

tput -Thft clear > /dev/hft

This command has saved me a lot of reboots.

--
Dale A. Hubler  --  Sverdrup Technology  --  (216) 977-7014
                                             hubler at galaxy.lerc.nasa.gov
Hubler's Thereom;  For each and every low-tech problem there exists
                   at least one high-tech solution